My website

My website
Click here to access my website

My magazine cover: Edition 1

My magazine contents page: Edition 1

My magazine cover: Edition 2

My magazine contents page: Edition 2

Wednesday 17 January 2018

6. What I have learnt about industry in relation to television or print advertising and how I intend to use this knowledge and understanding to ensure my production is appropriate to the media industry context of the set brief I have chosen.

During my research, I have learnt loads about the rules applied to print advertising by ASA. I plan to apply this to my own production by avoiding any breaking of the rules and regulation. I have also learnt a lot about the industry surrounding Total Film and have some great ways to use this in the design of my adverts.

ASA The ASA website can be found at the following address; https://www.asa.org.uk

Here is a list of rules relevant to my production that I will have to follow:


  • 1.1 Marketing communications should be legal, decent, honest and truthful.
  • 2.1 Marketing communications must be obviously identifiable as such.
  • 4.2 Marketing communications must not cause fear or distress without justifiable reason; if it can be justified, the fear or distress should not be excessive. Marketers must not use a shocking claim or image merely to attract attention.
  • 4.4 Marketing communications must contain nothing that is likely to condone or encourage violence or anti-social behaviour.
  • 4.8 Marketing communications must not portray or represent anyone who is, or seems to be, under 18 in a sexual way.
  • 8.4 Alcoholic drinks must not feature in promotions directed at people under 18. 
Advertisements are not removed from a platform unless they have been complained about by the public. To avoid offending the public my print advertisement will not include;
  • smoking (as it could be seen to encourage smoking)
  • alcohol
  • violence 
  • nudity
  • swearing 
  • overt sexual behaviour
The following magazine advert was taken down for being likely to cause serious offence. 


This advert for perfume 'Oh Lola!" by Marc Jacobs was shown in London Evening Standard's ES magazine and the Sunday Times Style magazine. It was banned by the ASA after it received several complaints.It was said to be irresponsible and likely to cause serious offence due to:

  • the sexually provocative positioning of the bottle on the model's lap resting between her thighs.
  • the length of the dress, leg shown and position of bottle drawing attention to the model's sexuality.
  • the youthful appearance of the model, 17 year old Dakota Fanning, could be seen to be sexualising a child. 



The following ad is considered to be acceptable and unlikely to cause serious offence.

I plan to follow the ASA guidelines I have outlined in this post in my own production to avoid causing offence and to decrease the chance of my print advert being removed as the Marc Jacobs print advert was.

Total Film
Total Film magazine has a 75% male readership of ages 18-35, which crosses over with my unisex target audience of ages 16-25, who read Total Film. They;
  • are dedicated film goers
  • are often young film professionals or young students or graduates
  • enjoy sharing knowledge of film
  • enjoy mainstream cinema
  • may have aspiration of working in the industry
  • are drawn to Total Film's full colour images, bold fonts and bright colours


Typical content of the magazine includes film reviews, discussions of soon to be released films and interviews with actors and directors, such as the cover story of the March 2018 edition of the magazine on Pacific Rim 2.

Image result for total film magazine john boyega

To appeal to this audience my adverts will use bright, bold, full-colour images and will use film poster poses to appeal to their love of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment